By Nathan Klein
April 21, 2009 - Canterbury-Bankstown Express
AFTER four long years of campaigning to bring the Bulldogs home to their traditional kennel, Back to Belmore president Luke Brailey finally has something to smile about.
Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg last week announced the possibility of the club moving back to Belmore as soon as 2015.
Mr Greenberg and Dogs chairman George Peponis met with Canterbury Mayor Robert Furolo to discuss the long-awaited return.
The news has come as a reward for Mr Brailey and his committee, who have praised Mr Greenberg and the new Bulldogs board for “listening to the community”.
"Todd Greenberg is the visionary behind this push. He is the man I believe understands the fans, understands the club and most importantly understands tradition," Mr Brailey said.
"The board is actually taking our campaign and concerns seriously and they should be applauded for that."
The run-down Belmore Sports Ground would need at least $2 million in funding to bring it up to an appropriate standard.
But Mr Brailey said he was confident the money could be obtained from the Federal Government in the next five years, despite the current economic crisis.
Watson Federal Labor MP Tony Burke could not be contacted about any possible funding for the ground before the Express went to print.
Mr Greenberg last week revealed a vision to play "one or two NRL games" at the suburban venue from 2015 onwards - a plan Back to Belmore has labelled realistic.
"Even though the plans have been announced, we're not just going to sit back and relax," Mr Brailey said.
"We are only five minutes into the first half and this game is still far from over."
Cr Furolo said the council was receptive to any approach from the Bulldogs about Belmore Stadium.
"We are awaiting more information from the Bulldogs and will consider that carefully," he said.
"These discussions are in an early stage."