By Joanne Vella
7 September 2010 - Canterbury-Bankstown Express
PEOPLE must not rest on their laurels and secure more government funding to restore Belmore Sports Ground, Luke Brailey said at Canterbury Leagues Club last week.
The Back to Belmore president was speaking at a campaign launch at the Terrace Bar where promotional material was unveiled to secure more funding.
In May, the Bulldogs announced it would resume training and administrative duties at their spiritual home as early as the 2011 season after the Federal Government and Canterbury Council announced a $4.9 million upgrade.
Last week, Mr Brailey said supporters could not lose sight that "there is so much more to do to secure Belmore's future".
"Over the past five years, we have covered a long distance on this long and winding road back to Belmore but our final destination is still far away," he said. "We must pursue state and further federal funding.
"There are challenges ahead but I truly believe that we have the people, the power and the passion to see that through, and importantly we continue to have the solid backing from the Bulldogs, Sydney Olympic FC and the Canterbury-Bankstown community."
On Thursday, the development application for the ground's redevelopment will be presented to the Sydney East joint regional planning panel at Canterbury Council's office.
The proposed works involve the refurbishment and extension of existing facilities in the grandstand and adjoining Peter Moore Field.