By Chris Georgakopoulos
June 24, 2014 - Canterbury-Bankstown Express
STATE Government funding for the Sydney Multicultural Arts and Sports precinct is one step closer, with a formal business proposal put forward.
NRL club Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, National Premier League NSW men's side Sydney Olympic and Canterbury Council submitted a business proposal for funding to complete the $10 million project.
But Sports Minister Stuart Ayres asked for more details before he considered approving the $3.5 million needed for the project.
The council and clubs have pledged a total of $2.5 million towards the project after securing $4 million worth of federal funding late last year.
"We have sought more detailed information from the project partners and will continue to assess the business case and feasibility of the project before we set up a meeting," Mr Ayres said.
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle told The Express the updated business proposal must be sent to Mr Ayres before the end of September.
"We are working with Canterbury Council and Sydney Olympic to bring together the extensive proposal," she said.
Ms Castle said the State Government had given "positive indications" about the project.