By Chris Georgakopoulos
December 10, 2013 - Canterbury-Bankstown Express
THE Express's campaign to secure funding for the Sydney Multicultural Arts and Sports precinct at Belmore has been successful - the Federal Government has committed to the deal.
The campaign was launched three weeks ago after the government announced a review of funding pledged by the previous Labor government in May.
Our readers were in favour of the precinct going ahead and sent us numerous messages of support.
Last week Infrastructure and Regional Development MP Warren Truss confirmed the funding commitment under the Regional Development Australia Fund on the condition that contracts were finalised within six months.
The funding will go towards two new grandstands with a capacity for 1700 people at Belmore Sports Ground, dedicated performance and visual-arts spaces and a 2km walkway linking the facility to the railway stations.
Watson Federal Labor MP Tony Burke said he welcomed Mr Truss's decision.
"This is a tribute to everyone who got involved in the campaign to make sure this local project goes ahead," Mr Burke said.
"Belmore will always benefit from the precinct and we need to move quickly to ensure that other contributions are ready to go."
Sydney Olympic president Chris Tsioulos said the club would continue to work closely with project partners to bring it to fruition.
Back to Belmore's Luke Brailey said this was a victory for all proponents of local sports.
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs chief executive officer Raelene Castle was also supportive of the campaign.
THE STORY SO FAR
WHAT: Sydney Multicultural Arts and Sports Precinct federal funding now confirmed
WHEN: The precinct was in limbo as part of a review
WHY: The Express launched a campaign three weeks ago in support of the funding
NEXT STEP: Precinct stakeholders to finalise contracts within six months