By Chris Georgakopoulos
December 2, 2014 - Canterbury-Bankstown Express
THE Bulldogs believe the upgrade of Belmore Sports Ground would be an asset to the community.
Last year The Express successfully campaigned for the Federal Government to commit $4 million to the Sydney Multicultural Arts and Sports Precinct project.
The NRL club has committed $1 million to the project, as has $1.5 million from Canterbury Council and $1 million from Sydney Olympic FC.
The remaining $2.5 millionneeds to come from the State Government by this month before the Federal Government withdraws its support.
The project will include two new grandstands, performance and visual arts spaces and a walkway linking the facility to the railway stations.
A business case was submitted NSW Sports Minister Stuart Ayres earlier this year but was met with a request for more detailed information.
But Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle wants to meet with Premier Mike Baird to discuss the project.
"The business case is done and we are awaiting a time to meet with Mr Baird," Ms Castle said.
"We're certainly confident we have a business case to show the State Government return in their investment through a community perspective.
"As well as that I think we proved during the grand final week that the Bulldogs have the capability to bring the community together and the community deserves this."
Alf Jennings has been a Bulldogs fan for 63 years and said the redevelopment would be great for the community.
"This will give us all fantastic facilities to come together as a community," Mr Jennings said.